Sunday, December 04, 2005

Not So Good

I've always fancied myself a pretty decent keyboard player. I have done it for a living for most of my working life, and have gotten by pretty well.

I sat down with my 7 year old daughter tonight to play with a little Christmas keyboard book that she has. You know - it's one of those miniature pianos with different colors on each key. The sheet music tells you which note to play by the colors. It doesn't give you a key, time signature, or note values. Just colors. I couldn't play it. I finally had to give up and let my 7 year old take over. She breezed through it with no problem, and then looked at me with the look we usually give our children - as if to say "it's ok daddy, you'll get it one day." I'm learning how to play the flute now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know there's no reason to go spiritual here, but let's do it anyway.

You knew to much about music too play the child's piano. I think we often know too much to have childlike faith. That's why the Pharisees didn't have a clue, but the "sinners" did.