Thursday, June 30, 2005

Paid To Watch TV

I signed up awhile back to be a part of a Nielson survey on TV programs that I watch. They said it would be very simple - all I had to do was answer a few questions over the phone, and then they would send me the paperwork to fill out during my "week". And here is the kicker - they would pay me $10 to watch TV for a week! I was going to get paid - to watch TV! The irony is, I have satellite, so technically I usually pay them for the privilege of watching television. I finally get a return on my investment.

Today started my week of viewing. I am too nervous to turn on the TV. The added pressure of being paid has taken the joy out of something that usually brings me great pleasure. Am I watching the right shows? If I don't watch the right shows, will they cancel them? Will this finally prove that I am an addict? Should I return the $10 if I don't turn on the TV? 6 more days and counting...

5 comments:

Josh Surratt said...

Welcome to the blog world Chris. Let me know how that "being paid to watch tv" goes. I'm interested, but I definitely don't want to risk the existing joy that I get from staring at the tube for several hours a week.

Shawn Wood said...

Forget Neilson's - I am just still reeling from the fact that I have not madfe it to the people you read section yet...

killing me...just killing me.

geoff surratt said...

$15 if you don't turn on the tv all week.

J. Scott Derrick said...

You have GOT to be kidding me!! Keep the dough AND watch the TV. Just tune it to either SCI-FI or Fox News and LEAVE IT THERE! Oh, and one more thing: What was your friend's name that we saw in Blue County? I just realized that I did indeed see them last February at a conference in Minneapolis, but I just did not remember it. I guess the impression they made was not as stellar as it should have been!

John Sullivan said...

Oh shoot!! I read this to late! I hope you watched CSI (the 1st one), King of Queens and Earnest Angley.